Well, this is a word that you most likely won’t want to use in formal situations, or with people that you don’t know.
Pedo is actually a fart. And tirarse un pedo is to fart.
But this word has also non scatological uses. One of these uses is to say that someone is drunk. You’d say that the person está en pedo. This phrase also goes to say that someone is crazy.
Now, if a person tiene fiaca, and s/he has been all day doing nothing, we could say the person está al pedo.
– ¿Qué hiciste hoy? ¿Fuiste a trabajar? (What did you do today? Did you go to work?)
– Nah, me quedé en casa todo el día. Estuve al re pedo. (Nah, I was at home all day. I haven’t done anything.)
– El sábado me tomé todo y terminé super en pedo. (On Saturday I drank everything and I ended up really drunk)
– Mi jefe está en pedo si cree que vamos a llegar a terminar todo para mañana (my boss is crazy if he thinks we’re going to finish everything for tomorrow)
Please, note the different meaning that the words en and al provide to the sentence.
verb estar (to be) + al + pedo = to have loads of free time, nothing to do
verb estar (to be) + en + pedo = to be drunk, to be crazy.
Related with the meaning of en pedo, as in being drunk, and also related with ni ahí and ni a gancho, we have ni en pedo.
Ni en pedo means that you won’t/wouldn’t do something even if you were drunk. It’s another way of saying no way.
– Che, ¿nos tomamos un bondi? (Hey, should we take the bus?)
– ¡Ni en pedo! Ya son las 3 de la mañana, tomemos un taxi. (No way! It’s already 3 in the morning, let’s take a cab).
De pedo is a phrase we use to indicate that we’ve accomplished something by chance, or just barely, at the last minute, with a little bit of luck.
– Le iba a pedir a Pablo que trajese vasos de plástico, pero me olvidé, pero de pedo él justo trajo un par (I was going to ask Pablo to bring some plastic cups, but I forgot about it, but just by chance he brought a few).
– De pedo me acordé del cumpleaños de Mónica. (Just barely I remembered it was Monica’s birthday).
Another common phrase including the word pedo is a los pedos, which means in a hurry, very quickly, to be on the run.
– Tuve que hacer todo a los pedos, porque me enteré ese misma mañana que viajaba a la noche (I had to do everything very quickly because I’d found out in the morning that I was traveling that same night).